Wednesday 12 September 2007

Irish XC Champs 2007

This year was my first year of competing in the XC Champs so the morning of the race was kinda nervous for me considering my last few races hadnt gone to plan as I ran outa steam in both of them on the last lap whilst leading, so with that in mind I prepared as best as I could by having a good breakfast and double checking I had everything!

Once I was sure I had everything off I went to Rosstrevor. Its about a one hour drive from where live so I arrived in good time at around 9pm, Race starts at 12pm. Once Signed On I went and had a look at the course, and a dam good one at that. Plenty of technical singletrack (Typical of our xc races)which I dont mind and a good fire road climb to gain some altitude!Course is around 3-4miles long.


Once I finnished my warm up lap it was near time to go, so one last check of everything and down I went to the start. Nerves where naturally high. As I looked around at my competitors I realized that I was prob the favourite here as Paul Foley was not here!So I now have a massive Bullseye on my back!As my name was called by our commisare Andy Potts for the front row im now really really nervous and looking to go!

As the count down began 10 secs to go im pumped and ready for the job, 5,4,3,2,1 and where off like rockets, my start could have been better but im 3rd going into the first corner behind Colm and Dave Askin I Pass Colm on the inside of turn 1 for second then where on to some singletrack before the long fireroad climb, im right on Daves tail here and I know im haveing a good day as following Dave isnt taking much outofme!Onceon the fireroad climb I pass Dave and set a fast pace up the climb, when I looked back after a mile there was nobody there, so I keep pushing like mad.

At the end of the first lap of 3 I have a minute of a lead and am still feeling ok going onto the second lap!Thislap was ok until 1 section of singletrack near the end of the lap where I make a mistake a come off, im back on soon enough but have lost time and vital confidence!Now Second place man Michael Cowan is only 20secsback, I cant afford another mistake!

On lap 3 going up the fireroad climb I putsome time into Michael about 20secs but he is a much better decender and he soon catches me on the decent!Im keeping him behind me and waiting for the next hill where I will attack him, but my luck was outI make a critical mistake and I loose control of the bike on a treestump! Michael goes straight past me and by the time im back on the bike hes 10-15 secs up the road!I chase like mad and give it my all and finally catch him on the lin but its not to be he has won the race by 2secs!

It was a great race forme even tho I didnt win this time but im so over the moon to have second it doesnt matter!Well done to Michael on first and well done to Brian O' Driscoll on third his best ever ride!

Micko

No comments: