Monday 17 September 2007

Kona Global 24hr Champs

My second 24hr this year took place in Catton Park In England,the course was flatish with 2-3 fairly steep climbs of 500m or more, there was some okish singletrack but frally easy!most of the lap was through barley feilds and lanes.

The race started with the usual 1mile run accustomed to 24hr racing, I started somewhere mid feild at the end I wasnt to far from the front, it was kinda hard to get used to runningas I dont do to much!

When I got on the bike after the run for the first lap, I was feeling great , felt very fresh and couldnt complain.Soon things where to change! basically I got 3punctures on the first lap so that put me near the back! When I got back to my pits I changed over to tubeless wheels with some latex milk for puncture resistance! What a start I dont think it could have gone any worse!

Anyway onto the second lap it went much better managed to make up a good few places the same continued for much of the next few laps.

Giong into the night stages I was feeling a little tired and worn outbut I still got the laps in, my new Light and motions where superb and really lit up the night!

Around the morning was tough to tho when the sun started to warm up it was great, suddenly my energy came back and I felt much better, I was actually doing some fast laps which was greatas it ment my lap total was going up much quicker.

On my second last lap I was running in 15th place and the guy in 14th was just up a head by about five mins so I out the hammer down once again to another level an actualy caught him for 14th! All I had to do now was just cruise home as the guy id just passed was totally hamered!

I ended up 14th overall with 21 laps of a 9mile course. Have to say I was pleased with that!

One of the things that I found with racing in England on neuromus occasions was the total lack of skill displayed by mostly English riders, even the top guys, I mean these are the guys writing articles on bike handling skills and finding your flow ect ect and they cant even beat an amature paddy mtber on their own soil goin through singletrack or on desents,fair enough they can pedal allright but I still lost count of the amount of times I canned the trek and salsa guys on the singletrack and dowhill! Ok rant over It was a great weekends craic and thanks to my mate olie for doin me pits and lookin after me, and well done to the organizers it was a great event!

Micko

No comments: