Thursday 13 September 2007

NPS 2007 & Ulster League

This years NPS & Ulster league Have been/went very well for me with some wins and good places.

My Season kicked off in Carlingford for round 3 of the NPS. The coures was fantastic, it was so technical, have to say I really enjoyed it and cant wait to go back there at the end of the month for the Irish National Marathon Champs. The racewas run over two laps and a start loop so in total it was around 16km of tough technical singletrack. I started on the 3rd row and soon made my way into first. Goin into the first peice of singlet track Seamus Byrne passed me and tookoff like a rocket and showed me how to ride as I tried to keep up with him!Wasnt much good as he was way technically better than me!he rompedoff for the win by 2mins!

On my last lap I was so tired imade so many errors and eventually Colm Keane caught and passed me for second!I stayed with him until the end but couldnt go round him he was to strong!So Final podium was: 1st Seamus 2nd Colm 3rd Me. Was happy with that result!

The next round was held in a new venue in Maghramourne Quarry near the seaside town of Larne. The course was different to what we are used to as there wasnt a tree or forest road in sight! The lapwas in theregion of 3.5 miles and very fast with some good kickers and drop inns.

The race started at 12 O Clock on thebutton I wason the second row this time behind Seamus so I wasnt in a bad place! When Andy blew the the whistlewe where off like rabbits out of a trap,Seamushad made a terriable start and Colm and Gareth slidetackeled eachother out of the race on the first corner (not intenionally of course, justsome bad luck).I was running 3rd at this stage and feelin good!I knew I was alot quicker so I moved to the front and basically powerd away!I led from start to finnish so I couldnt complain! Seamus finnished 2nd and Paul Foley Got 3rd.

Crossing the finnish line that day was one of the best ive ever had on a bike as it was my first xc win!

The next race was in Limerick around a park. The course was very cut up and didnt hold up well and over half the lap was spent pushing the bike!neverthe less the event was well run and had all the facilities one required.

At the start of the lap there wasone long steep drag whichone guy just shot up whereas I stayed calm in second and eventually at the top there he was!The guy had blowen!Good I thought so Ipassed him at good speed and began the hikeabike section, once off that I had a goo 2min lead and was nearing the start finnish forthe second lap, when all i can hear is pisssgh, I picked up a lump of glass and in turn a puncture!Bythe time I had this fixed and back on the bike I was running in 7th but 6th place was jut up the climb in front of me so I easily took him as I dont mind the climbing! Paul Foley deservadley won and Colm and Gar from IMBRC where second and third.I finnished 6th.

The next race was in Bangor at the start of June and was part of the Ulster xc league.The race was in Castle park Bangor which is a great venue and provides an excellent xc course with alot of god features. The race started with myself and my good mate Ronan setting the pace, after the first lap I had built up a small lead over Ronan and by lap 2 it was around the minute mark. at the end of lap 5 I was very tired as the muddy ish conditions where starting to take their toll on me but I held on for the win! Was very happy with ths race and I cant wait for the next race at the weekend now where hopefully myself and Ronan will battle itout again!

My next race was in Djouce woods in Wicklow. I think thebest course of the seaon was on offer as it really included everything from fast swoopy bits to goo technical sections!The race started ok for me I was in 3rd and soon moved into first! I led for 3 laps with a small advantage over Paul, but what I didnt know was that Ben Morrow was blazing his way trough the feild from nearly last!Some ride!Going onto the last hill I was so tired and Paul quickly pounced on me taking first! I stayed with him for a while but then cam Ben he wasflat out!He blew past us to take a brilliant 1st place paul got me for second and I got 3rd.

The last round of the NPS was in Tallagh, Dublin. The course should have of suited me as it was flat and fast but it wasnt to be the case as I had a race to forget! If I had of won I would have lifted the NPS Overall. Paul won and won the NPS overall which he thourghly deserved and it couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke!I just hadntgot the energy and ended up finnishing 12th a carrer worst!Aw well I dont look back in anger!

I have tosay in my first year of competive mountain biking ive learned so much and made so many new friends!Its a totally different scene to road its much more friendly and welcoming!I will definately be doing this for many years to come!TOUCHWOOD

No comments: