Tuesday 22 April 2008

K Capital Cup R4 Castlewellan.

This weekend saw the final round of the K Capital cup run off in Castlewellan. The event was hosted by the XMTB club and atttracted record numbers for them, so a well done is due there!

On to the race!

Myself and my Leisurelakes team mate Paul made our way to the course on Sat from Carnfunnick Caravan Park in Larne (Paul was caravaning there) to sign on and do a pre-ride. The course was in great condition, very dry and had lots of testing singletrack. We rode about 2 laps at a good pace! To be honest I really was feeling shit and had my doubts about Sunday!

Later on Sat night we enjoyed a BBQ put on by mrs Mac, which went down a treat and I think got me feeling myself again!

Now to race day! I arrived with around 1 hour to go to the start, pulled the bike out and went for a warmup. I did around 1/2 an hour and felt just ok!

Our race was to be 5laps or 26km, I got gridded on the second row due to the points I amssed from rounds 1 & 2 . The start as always, was fast and furious, I got an okish start and managed to go into the first ST in 7th behind Ben Reid. I obviously knew this was a good wheel to follow, and it was! no mistakes here! I followed Ben up the steep climb and made up a few posotions to 5th.






For the next few laps I made steady time on Osin Boydell and managed to pass him soon after this pic above, which put me in 4th. I then caught luke at the end of the 4th lap for 3rd but was soon passed again for 3rd on the climb at the start of the 5th lap. I once again caught Luke on the ST at the top of the course and was sure I would take 3rd, but I messed up a rock Drop-off and never really got back on terms with Luke! Aw well im happy with my 4th spot!

At the finnish I could safely say it was the hardest day Ive ever had in an XC race as the ST was so demanding and the Climbing was so steep! I also want to say how good my bike was, I decided to again race the Cannondale Rush, it was the perfect tool as I could bomb over all the tech bits and remain fresh from all the bumps! Its one amazing bike!

Ben Reid won the Race with Gary Henning second, Luke Ireland 3rd, myself Michael Holland 4th, Osin Boydell 5th and overall series victor and Donacha O'Brien 6th. Well done everyone.

My teammate Paul had a great race came 3rd after a heavy fall! im sure he would have done better if this had not of happened, but thats the luck of the drawI suppose! He'll do better at the NPS in Ballinastoe this comming weekend, im sure of it.

Overall for Lesiure Lakes it was a great weekend with a 3rd and 4th! and Overall league places of 3rd and 5th!

Results can be found here at www.kcapitalcup.com

Our next race is the first round of the Irish XC National Points Race in Ballinastoe, Co Wicklow this comming Sunday, its gonna be a cracker!

No comments: