Wednesday 16 April 2008

K Capital Cup Round 1

The first round of the UCI world ranked Kcapital Cup took place over the Weekend of March 9th 2008 in killruddery, which is near Bray in Co.Wicklow.
The Course was designed By Robin Seymour and the team WORC'ers, so it was always going to be a challenge from the start, and true to form it was. The course winded its way up, over and along the surrounding hills and forests to provide a 'nicely' technical and quite flowing course.

The main obstacles/technical/pure feckin class hi! sections where: The Rock, which is the tricky and technical decent off the first climb, The mucky fire road (as I call it) which is in the middle of the lap and provides a great strength sapping, bike handling, line finding challenge to the riders and the infamous climb up to and including the bomb hole! Put simply this section required skill!






The Course Map



As this was to be my first race as an expert, from moving out of Sports I didn't know what style of racing to expect so nerves where on the higher end of the spectrum!

Our race was due to start at the now usual time of 1:32pm just after the Junior men and before the Masters.
OK cutting to the chase, my race started well as I climbed up to the top of the main climb in 3rd with a group of 6! However from there it all went pear shaped! on the decent I sorta lost interest and in turn lost speed which in turn gets you passed lol! Pretty much the whole race was like this, I couldn't summons my legs to provide me with the power I'm used to. I don't know what went wrong with me?? It could have been that I had just recovered from a nasty flu or I was just having a bad day. Either way I still managed 11th and 10 points which I was happy with given the situation.

Exiting a Section (It was a wee bit mucky in places)

On a more positave not I got to meet up with all the friends from last year and hear about their races, and their good results, which I love hearing and discussing.

In all it was a great day out on a memorable course.

No comments: